Feb. 19, 2015
News for Iowa State faculty and staff
|University Relations was unable to publish Inside Iowa State on its Feb. 19 publication date due to website outages.|Inside news
Visits scheduled for library dean candidates
Four finalists for the University Library's dean position will visit campus between Feb. 26 and March 10. Each candidate's visit will include a public forum with the university community.
Employee input will be key piece of services assessment
Some university employees will be invited yet this month to share their insights on service processes -- in the areas of human resources, information technology and internal financial transactions -- as part of the state Board of Regents' TIER project.
Grants will help 'flip' 80-plus courses
Twenty-two teams have begun the task of converting more than 80 courses -- delivered now in a traditional face-to-face format -- to a variety of flipped classroom approaches. About two-thirds of the reworked courses will be rolled out this fall; the rest will be ready to go spring semester 2016.
Indoor option on a cold day
ISU faculty and staff may purchase recreation services user passes
-- by the year, semester, month or week -- and use all three indoor facilities -- including group fitness classes.
The following announcements were added this week:
- Boiler delivery will interrupt traffic on Feb. 24
- Student organization event funding applications due soon
- ISU women to be honored at YWCA event
- Marcketti lecture airs on C-SPAN Feb. 21
- Proposals sought for 2015-16 scholars program
- AAPI faculty and staff social is March 11
- UHR offers training workshops
- Gender equity award nominations due Feb. 23
- Davidson demolition team arrives Feb. 16
- Library workshop introduces EndNote Web
- ISU Day at the Capitol is Feb. 23
- Cyclone Family Weekend is set for Sept. 25-27
Sen. Ernst stops on campus
U.S. Sen. Joni Ernst received a tour of the Biorenewables Complex during a campus visit on Feb. 18.
Change agent: Emily Heaton
Assistant professor of agronomy Emily Heaton says planting perennial grasses on Iowa farmland pays off -- in cleaner water, nutrient-rich soil and greater animal and plant diversity.
- Farewell: James Dorsett, international students and scholars office, March 4 (3-4:30 p.m., program at 3:30 p.m., MU Gallery)
- Reception: COHERENCE exhibition opening, March 5 (8-9 p.m., Christian Petersen Art Museum, 1017 Morrill)
- Retirement open house: Tom Oftedal, facilities planning and management, March 6 (8 a.m.-4 p.m., 200 General Services Building)
Remaining town hall sessions: Role of ISU's chief diversity officer
- March 4 (9-9:45 a.m., MU Oak Room)
- March 10 (5:30-6:15 p.m., MU Oak Room)
- April 7 (2:45-3:30 p.m., MU Gallery)
Library dean candidates
All forums begin at 3 p.m. in 2019 Morrill.
- Maggie Farrell, University of Wyoming, Feb. 26
- Beth McNeil, Purdue University, March 2
- Jeff Steely, Baylor University, March 4
- Marilyn Moody, Portland State University, March 9
Arts and events
Get your green on at the sustainability symposium
Iowa State's annual Symposium on Sustainability moves to an evening-only format, Feb. 23-24. All events are free and open to the public. No registration is required to attend.
Last-chance week to see Cyclone women's basketball
Tickets still are available ($12 reserved, $10 general admission, youth half price) for the Cyclone women's basketball team's final two home games of the 2014-15 regular season. Big 12 opponents Texas Tech (7 p.m. Feb. 24) and Baylor (3 p.m. Feb. 28) come to Hilton Coliseum this week. Purchase tickets online
or at the Jacobsen Building ticket office.
Faculty professional development
Events are in 2030 Morrill unless noted.
- Teaching and Learning Circle, Mindset: How We Can Learn to Fulfill our Potential (3 parts), Feb. 25, March 4 and 11 (11:50 a.m.-1 p.m., 2015 Morrill)
- Seminar, I Want to Be Evaluated or I've Been Asked to Be an Evaluator - So, Now What? Feb. 25 (12:10-1 p.m.)
- Adviser Exchange Series, Using Student Survey and Big Data Analytics to Support Student Achievement and Success, Feb. 26 (11:30 a.m.-1 p.m.)
- Meeting, Service-Learning Learning Community, March 2 (12:10-1 p.m.)
- Roundtable, Planning for Effective Hybrid Course Lectures, March 3 (12:10-1 p.m., 192 Parks Library)
- Webinar, Advising Strategies for Students on Academic Probation, March 3 (1-2:30 p.m.)
Submitting your newsUpdate Archives
Inside Update is published Thursday mornings by the Office of University