| || |
FY16 salary parameters are announced
Uncertainty about state funding and tuition revenue likely will make it a year of lean salary increases for most employees.
Council approves salary recommendation
Members of the Professional and Scientific Council approved a salary recommendation that was sent to administrators for consideration during FY16 budget development.
Riders sought for new east vanpoolDepending on interest, the vanpool route could start as far east as State Center, with stops along the U.S. Highway 30 corridor in Colo and Nevada.
The following announcements were added this week:
- May 28 hearing precedes regents' Ames meeting
- Registration is open for Kids' Co'Motion summer dance (July 6-24)
- Blackboard Learn system will be unavailable May 15-16
- Troxel Hall is closed for two weeks
- Fall deadlines announced for internal arts/humanities funding proposals
- Friday is Bike to Work Day
A good season for walking
The first day following spring commencement weekend brought road closure signs to central campus -- lots of them. Here's a reminder of when some of those routes will reopen.
Road, lot closures during Special Olympics
The annual summer games return to campus May 21-23. In addition to construction closures near the venues, several parking lots and roads will be impacted.
Researchers expand school wellness program
A research team is working with elementary schools to improve academic outcomes through a program that promotes physical activity and a healthy lifestyle.
Skyscraper lecture airs on C-SPAN history channel this month
Architecture professor Thomas Leslie traces the skyscraper's creation in Chicago as complex connections among the city's economics, technology and politics during a lecture to be broadcast
on C-SPAN's American History TV
(C-SPAN-3) on May 16 and 23 (7 and 11 p.m. both evenings).
- Retirement: Ann Schmidt, psychology, May 27 (1-3 p.m., W139 Lagomarcino)
- Retirement: Lea Henderson, university human resources, May 28 (2-4 p.m., MU South Ballroom)
- Retirements: Claire Brecht, Dave Bunker and Rheon Wolske, residence department, May 29 (9-11 a.m., 1132 Eaton)
- Reception: ISU Alumni Association Faculty-Staff Inspiration Awards, May 29 (5:30 p.m., Alumni Center), $10
Details about these events are on the university calendar
Upcoming seminars, conferences
Big 12's best to run, jump and throw in Ames
Iowa State is hosting the Big 12 Conference men's and women's track and field championships May 15-17 at the Cyclone Sports Complex.
Story time with Derek Anderson is Saturday morning
Ames native Derek Anderson returns to the University Book Store on Saturday, May 16 (10:30 a.m., Memorial Union) to read his new children's book, Ten Pigs: An Epic Bath Adventure.
Saturday is movie night at the football stadium
The athletics department's Jr. Cyclone Club is sponsoring the third annual Movie Night at Jack Trice Stadium
on Saturday, May 16 (7 p.m.; northwest, northeast and east gates open at 6 p.m.). The Disney animated film Big Hero 6
will be shown on the north video board. Admission is free. Seating is in the east bleachers or on the field (blankets only). Wheelchairs are welcome on the asphalt tarmacs. Limited concessions will be available; families may bring snacks. In case of rain, the event moves to Hilton Coliseum.
More campus events
Talks, performances, athletic contests and other campus events are listed on the university calendar
. Also, see the Arts and Entertainment
Non-tenure eligible faculty: Apply by June 1 for professional development funds
The Office of the Senior Vice President and Provost has funds, up to $500 per award, to support the professional development of lecturers/senior lecturers, clinicians/senior clinicians and adjunct faculty. Applications particularly are encouraged from faculty without access to departmental professional development support. Award guidelines are online. Applications are due June 1 for events between July 1 and Dec. 31. Recipients will be notified within three weeks of the deadline.
Provost office programming
University human resources programming
Register via AccessPlus (Employee tab > UHR Training). Locations provided in registration.
- Class, Managing Applicants and the Hiring Process, May 21 (2-4 p.m.), learn how to create a hiring proposal, manage applicants and request hires for all position types
- Open session, PeopleAdmin 7 system, May 27 (10 a.m.-noon), users should bring their questions
Submitting your news
Inside Update is published Thursday mornings by the Office of University Relations. Send Update news to email@example.com
. For questions call 515-294-7958.Update archives