| || |
Lots of winners in this campus partnership
Upper-division Design students completed a second outdoor project for recreation services during spring semester, on time and on budget.
Updates to employee ISU Alert profiles set for July 21
If you haven't entered a phone number and email address in your ISU Alert profile, the university will do it for you July 21. It's an effort to ensure all employees receive alerts in emergencies.
Presidential caucus is topic of ISU's first MOOC
University Professor Steffen Schmidt is offering Iowa State's first massive open online course (MOOC) -- a free class that only requires an internet connection and computer or mobile device to participate. The course will help explain Iowa's first-in-the-nation presidential caucus process to a global audience.
The following announcements were added this week:
- Eight volunteer slots still open at State Fair exhibit
- College Creek cleanup is July 25; sign up now
- Memorial service for Lisa Shepherd Jenkins is July 10
- Beach Road opened July 3
- ISU teams secure second, third in international mining contest
- Office for Responsible Research becomes two units
- Indie bands' Aug. 27 concert tickets on sale now
- Research pre-proposals due July 15: Tracking water quality progress
Youth project promotes food sense
ISU faculty developed a "Healthy Heroes" program to teach local elementary students how to make healthy food choices.
Solar car team readies for track racing later this monthTeam PrISUm turned the fastest lap of the Formula Sun Grand Prix two summers ago at the Formula 1 track in Austin, Texas. Team members anticipate the car will be just as quick when they compete again in Austin July 26-31.
- Matt O'Neal, associate professor of entomology, as chair of the graduate program in sustainable agriculture, effective July 2 for two years
Open houses and receptions
- Farewell: Chitra Rajan, office of the vice president for research; and Krishna Rajan, materials science and engineering, July 29 (2-4 p.m., MU Campanile Room)
Details about this event are on the university calendar
Upcoming seminars and conferences
- Webinar, Helping Students Articulate the Value of a Liberal Arts Education, July 22 (11 a.m.-noon, 302 Catt), email Taren Crow to attend
Movie under the stars this Friday
ISU's Cyclone Cinema is a co-sponsor of a free family movie night Friday, July 10, on the upper level of St. Thomas Aquinas Parish's parking deck (Ash Avenue, one block south of Lincoln Way). The animated adventure How to Train Your Dragon 2 (rated PG) will begin at approximately 8:30 p.m.; live music and other activities begin at 7 p.m. Bring your own blankets or lawn chairs; free popcorn and candy provided while supplies last.
Art in the Gardens
Sixty artists are expected to exhibit and sell their creations at Reiman Gardens' July 12 art fair. Reduced admission prices apply and food will be available for purchase during the event, which runs from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
More campus events
Talks, performances, athletic contests and other campus events are listed on the university calendar
- Seminar, Position Descriptions 101, Emma Houghton, university human resources, July 14 (2-3 p.m., MU Pioneer Room or online as a guest)
Provost office programming
These webinars are hosted by the National Center for Faculty Development and Diversity. Register online with your ISU-sponsored membership.
University human resources programming
Register via AccessPlus (Employee tab > UHR Training > Courses).
- University Orientation, July 14 (8 a.m.-2:30 p.m., MU Gallery)
- Class, Creating a Posting, July 14 (10 a.m.-noon, 1230 Communications)
Submitting your news
is published Thursday mornings by the Office of University Relations. Send Update
news to email@example.com
. For questions call 515-294-7958.Update archives