| || |
Focus on the student experience
Half of the new dollars in the next operating budget will be used to bolster students' academic and campus experience.
University Library dean Beth McNeil arrived on the job July 15.
External funding at record high
External funders -- government agencies, industry, foundations and individuals -- put a record $424.9 million into Iowa State in FY 2015. The funds support researchers, students, education programs, equipment purchases, building projects and extension activities.
Council looks aheadMembers of the Professional and Scientific Council met this month to work on priorities for the upcoming academic year.
The following announcement was added this week:
- cyBUY vendor fair is July 21
Change agent: Wilson Rumbeiha
Meet a College of Veterinary Medicine professor who is working on a better understanding of the importance of toxicology in developing nations, such as his native Uganda.
Youth fitness study shows being older isn't betterA kinesiology study shows that fitness levels decline sharply as students get older and vary greatly based on gender and age.
- Tammy Koolbeck, senior vice president and chief marketing officer for VenuWorks, Ames, as executive director for the Iowa State Center, effective Aug. 10
Open houses and receptions
- Farewell: Tom Becker, office of admissions, July 21 (no public event)
- Farewell: Chitra Rajan, office of the vice president for research; and Krishna Rajan, materials science and engineering, July 29 (2-4 p.m., MU Campanile Room)
- Retirement: Mary Vannoy, office of admissions, July 31 (no public event)
- Retirement: Patricia Ewing, new student programs, Aug. 5 (no public event)
Details about these events are on the university calendar
Upcoming seminars and conferences
Let the games beginThousands of participants, spectators and volunteers will be in Ames July 16-19 for the biggest weekend of the summer Iowa Games. The opening ceremony, featuring former Cyclone and NFL quarterback Seneca Wallace, is Friday (7:45-9 p.m., Jack Trice Stadium). Opening ceremony tickets are $5 ($2 for youth 12 and younger).
More campus events
Talks, performances, athletic contests and other campus events are listed on the university calendar
University human resources programming
Register via AccessPlus (Employee tab > UHR Training > Courses).
- Class, Managing Applicants and the Hiring Process, July 23 (2-4 p.m., 1230 Communications)
- Class, P&S Performance Management Training, July 23 (10 a.m.-noon, 3150 Beardshear)
Submitting your news
is published Thursday mornings by the Office of University Relations. Send Update
news to email@example.com
. For questions call 515-294-7958.Update archives