| || |
Residence hall furnishings crafted by inmates
For nearly two decades, residence hall students have been studying, sleeping and stashing belongings in furniture created at the state penitentiary.
Osborn Drive future: No parking during work hours
Several ideas for reducing Osborn Drive congestion, including eliminating on-street parking and reducing the number of bus stops, will be put to the test in August.
PeopleAdmin7's final piece, a self-service portal of 13 required action items for new hires, went live on July 21.
Online recruiting, hiring system is complete
The following announcements were added this week:
- Four volunteers sought for state fair exhibit
- Some mail lost in truck fire; postal service alerted affected units
- Stoplight arms to be installed Thursday night at Stange/13th
- New salary slips are available in AccessPlus
- Submit requests for fall semester course reserve at library
- Stephens single-event tickets are on sale now
A fun alternative to live birds
George Washington Carver summer intern Zach Brown developed a poultry quiz for use at county fairs this summer. The avian influenza outbreak led to the cancellation of poultry exhibits at all fairs, and a quiz bowl will help fill that vacuum.
African-American Hall of Fame inductees to be honored Aug. 7
The Iowa African-American Hall of Fame, housed in ISU's Black Cultural Center, will induct three new members during an Aug. 7 banquet (5 p.m., Meadows Event and Conference Center, Altoona). Tickets are $50.
- Mary Hensley, University of Minnesota Medical Center (retired), as interim director of the Thielen Student Health Center, effective July 20
Open houses and receptions
- Farewell: Chitra Rajan, office of the vice president for research; and Krishna Rajan, materials science and engineering, July 29 (2-4 p.m., MU Campanile Room)
- Retirement: Mary Vannoy, office of admissions, July 31 (no public event)
- Retirement: Patricia Ewing, new student programs, Aug. 5 (no public event)
- Farewell: Lauri Dusselier, student health, Aug. 11 (no public event)
Details about these events are on the university calendar
Upcoming seminars and conferences
- Essentials of ArcGIS, ISU Extension and Outreach, Aug. 20-21 (2321 N. Loop Dr., Suite 121, ISU Research Park), discounted registration ($250) for ISU students, staff and faculty, registration form due Aug. 14
Board of Regents public hearingRecord your comments about any item on the board's August agenda at the July 31 public hearing (4-5 p.m., MU Oak Room). An agenda and other materials for the Aug. 5 telephonic meeting will be posted to the regents' website by July 28.
College Creek cleanup event is SaturdayThe annual College Creek cleanup, postponed last month, will take place on Saturday, July 25 (10 a.m.-2 p.m.). Online registration is open for volunteers who want to help; check in at the Forker parking lot, beginning at 9:30 a.m. Supplies are provided, but volunteers should wear closed-toe shoes and may bring their own gloves. A free burrito lunch is included.
More campus events
Talks, performances, athletic contests and other campus events are listed on the university calendar
Provost office programming
This webinar is hosted by the National Center for Faculty Development and Diversity. Register online with your ISU-sponsored membership.
Submitting your news
is published Thursday mornings by the Office of University Relations. Send Update
news to firstname.lastname@example.org
. For questions call 515-294-7958.Update archives