| || |
Iowa State's first vice president for diversity and inclusion, Reginald Stewart
, arrived on campus Dec. 1.
Strategic plan is not a list, but a framework
The next strategic plan
won't document all the things we do to help students, faculty and staff succeed, says steering committee chair Steve Freeman. Rather, the plan will be a framework, showing what we intend to focus on and where we should invest resources to make the university better.
Regents approve 2016-17 tuition rates, conditionally
Meeting Dec. 2 in Ames, the state Board of Regents
pledged to revisit tuition rates late next spring if state support for the three universities falls short in the 2016 legislative session.
CyBox gets IT's thumbs-up
IT experts encourage faculty, staff and students to use the CyBox online storage
system for university business and class work. User benefits include unlimited storage and special security features. And in-the-cloud storage reduces the pressure on university servers.
Severe winter weather remindersThe calendar says it's autumn, but Mother Nature has other ideas. Brush up on Iowa State's severe winter weather policies.
The following announcements were added this week:
- Steam blow at power plant will continue through the weekend
- Volunteer judges sought for spring science/technology fairs
- Reserve course materials for spring semester now
- Vote now for Academic Minute Listener's Choice Award
- Hamilton Cravens memorial service scheduled for February
- Fall Honors poster presentation is Dec. 9
- Bookstore hosts Star Wars story hour this Saturday
- Child support services information available to students
- Project LEA/RN workshop scheduled for Jan. 5-6
- Ombuds office will be closed during semester break
- Reiman Gardens is open late Thursdays in December
Six faculty named AAAS fellows
Six Iowa Staters
are part of this year's class of 347 new fellows in the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the world's largest general scientific society.
New era for Cyclone football
Iowa State's 32nd head football coach, Matt Campbell
, was introduced to the Cyclone community on Nov. 30.
Cat with prosthetic legs is making strides in recoveryVincent, a 3-year-old domestic short-haired cat that received prosthetic legs at Iowa State's Vet Med hospital, is making a strong recovery. In fact, his doctor thinks he might start jumping soon.
Open houses and receptions
- Reception: "Give Thanks" networking, women's and gender studies program, Dec. 4 (4:30-6 p.m., Harl Commons, Curtiss)
- Closing reception: 40/40 exhibit and University Museums' 40th anniversary celebration, Dec. 4 (5-7 p.m., Brunnier Art Museum, 295 Scheman)
- Retirement: Richard Reynolds, Memorial Union, Dec. 10 (3-5 p.m., MU Campanile Room, program at 3:30 p.m.), send well wishes, memories for slideshow by Dec. 8 to Kristin Erdman
- Retirement: Vickie Galeazzi, psychology, Dec. 11 (1-3 p.m., W139 Lagomarcino)
- Retirement: Jan Nyhus, math, Dec. 11 (4:10-5:30 p.m., program in 305 Carver; refreshments following in 400 Carver), send well wishes to Bonnie Tinker or Melanie Erickson
Details about these events are on the university calendar
It's beginning to look a lot like winter
From cookie decorating (and eating) to ice skating, there are lots of family-friendly activities sure to warm your heart during WinterFest
on Dec. 4.
Show features quick-changing roles, scenes
Eighteen cast members will tackle more than 100 roles and 50 scenes in ISU Theatre's production of Love and Information
. The show, booked for two weekends in Fisher Theater, opens Dec. 4.
Farm House Museum hosts a Victorian ChristmasTake a step back in time at the Farm House Museum's annual holiday celebration Dec. 4 (noon-4 p.m.) and Dec. 5-6 (1-4 p.m.). Hot chocolate, apple cider and crafts will highlight Friday's activities. On Saturday and Sunday, carolers and Santa Claus also will join the fun. The event is free and open to the public.
More campus events
Talks, performances, athletic contests and other campus events are listed on the university calendar
Provost office programming
- Webinar, Teaching and Learning: 2015 in Retrospect, 2016 in Prospect, Dec. 7 (noon-1 p.m., 2015 Morrill or view on your own)
- Meeting, Service-Learning Faculty/Staff Learning Community, Dec. 7 (12:10-1 p.m., 2030 Morrill)
- Webinar, Flipped Classrooms in Higher Ed, Dec. 9 (noon-1 p.m., view on your own)
- Webinar, Quick Start to Captioning, Dec. 10 (1-1:30 p.m., view in person at 192 Parks Library or on your own)
- Spring Semester Teaching Assistant Seminar, Jan. 8, 2016 (10-11:50 a.m., 2030 Morrill)
University human resources programming
- Class, University Orientation, Dec. 15 (8 a.m.-1:30 p.m., MU Gallery)
- Class, Energize Your Leadership Process: The Art and Science of Employee Development, Jan. 7, 2016 (9 a.m.-noon, MU Campanile Room)
Submitting your news
is published Thursday mornings by the Office of University Relations. Send Update
news to firstname.lastname@example.org
. For questions call 515-294-7958.Update archives