| || |
Progress continues on campus street address project
ZIP+4 codes have been added to building street addresses; other implementation pieces
-- such as building signs and the online directory -- will continue for several months.
Ali named dining director
Mohamed Ali has been named ISU Dining director
, effective Jan. 11. Ali comes to Iowa State from Ohio University, Athens, where he served as auxiliaries operations director.
Clearing the air
Iowa State rings in the new year with a policy change that bans e-cigarettes
and other electronic smoking devices.
Advancing One Community Award recipients honored Jan. 21Jazmin Murguia, senior in journalism and mass communication; Dianne Bystrom, director of the Carrie Chapman Catt Center for Women and Politics; and the Black Student Alliance are the 2016 recipients of the Advancing One Community Awards.
The following announcements were added this week:
- UCC preschool programs have openings
- Comfort Zone for kids reopens Jan. 11
- Youth program leader training is Jan. 19
- Toth will present Osborn Club lecture on Jan.11
- Blackboard tech support site moves
- Transportation Services' dispatch office has moved
- Interims appointed to dean of students, MU director posts
- Family film series at Reiman runs on Saturdays in January
- Registration open for final presidential caucus MOOC
ISU experts offer advice for making exercise a habitWeight loss is often the goal for anyone starting a new exercise routine. It's a good motivator, but Iowa State health experts say weight is not the only factor to consider if you want to stick with it and see results.
- Cameron Campbell, associate professor of architecture, to Design associate dean for academic programs, effective Jan. 1
- Mark Chidister, Design associate dean for academic programs and associate professor of art and visual culture, to senior associate dean for planning and academic personnel, effective Jan. 1
- Kevin Kane, Design associate dean for research and associate director of the Institute for Design Research and Outreach, to associate dean for research and outreach, effective October 2015
- William Gutowski Jr., professor in geological and atmospheric sciences, to LAS associate dean for research and graduate studies, effective Jan. 1
- Brent Shanks, Anson Marston Distinguished Professor in Engineering, as the inaugural holder of the Mike and Jean Steffenson Chair, effective December 2015
Open houses and receptions
- Farewell: Pamela Anthony, dean of students, Jan. 12 (2:30-4 p.m., short program at 3 p.m., MU Sun Room)
- Reception: "Women Impacting ISU" calendar unveiling, honoring the 12 women featured in the Catt Center's 2016 calendar, Jan. 13 (3:30-5 p.m., MU Sun Room)
- Open house, Hansen Agriculture Student Learning Center, for event planners, Jan. 14 (3:30-6:30 p.m., guided tours on the half hour), RSVPs requested by Jan. 8
Details about these events are on the university calendar
Upcoming seminars and conferences
- P&S professional development conference, "Building YOU, Reinforcing US," Feb. 11 (8 a.m.-4:15 p.m., Scheman Building), early registration fee through Jan. 8
Several January events honor Martin Luther King Jr.
The legacy of Martin Luther King Jr. will be commemorated nationally on Jan. 18. Iowa State also is honoring King with several events throughout January
, which are free and open to the public.
Cyclone teams in action
- Jan. 8, Men's hockey vs. Minot State, 7:30 p.m., Ames/ISU Ice Arena, $5-$10
- Jan. 9, Men's basketball vs. Baylor, 2 p.m., Hilton Coliseum, limited ticket availability
- Jan. 9, Women's basketball vs. Kansas, 7 p.m., Hilton Coliseum, $5-$12
- Jan. 9, Men's hockey vs. Minot State, 7:30 p.m., Ames/ISU Ice Arena, $5-$10
Art in GerdinUniversity Museums' Jan. 13 Artwalk, "The Art of Business," explores the pieces specifically commissioned and purchased for the College of Business. Participants should meet Artwalk guide David Faux at noon in the west main entry of the Gerdin Business Building.
More campus events
Talks, performances, athletic contests and other campus events are listed on the university calendar
University human resources programming
- Class, Understanding FMLA: Training for Supervisors, Jan. 14 (11 a.m. -noon, 3150 Beardshear)
- Class, Addressing Conflict Using the Tools of Employee Engagement, Jan. 26 (9-11 a.m., MU Gold Room)
Submitting your news
is published Thursday mornings by the Office of University Relations. Send Update
news to email@example.com
. For questions call 515-294-7958.Update archives