Jolly selected as next Human Sciences dean
Laura Dunn Jolly
, professor of textiles, merchandising and interiors at the University of Georgia, Athens, has been appointed the next dean and Dean's Chair of the College of Human Sciences, effective July 5.
Task force seeks ways to support NTE faculty
A task force
will work this summer and fall to identify and examine a range of issues related to nontenure-eligible faculty.
Director of equal opportunity Margo Foreman
began in her post on April 25.
Regents approve tenure cases, hear salary increase requests
Meeting April 21, the state Board of Regents approved Iowa State's 58 faculty promotion and tenure
cases, and heard comments from employee representatives on the need for salary increases this year.
Class designs playable carillon model
An interdisciplinary project kicked off this spring with a concept design developed by a senior capstone class. The multiyear project will create a functional, portable one-fifth scale model
of ISU's iconic campanile and carillon.
Pammel Drive to be resurfaced, striped as a two-lane road
A summer project
to add center turn lanes and painted medians is intended to improve pedestrian safety and help Pammel Drive function more like other campus roads.
Open forums planned for student affairs positionFinalists for a new assessment and research director's position in the division of student affairs will interview on campus in the coming weeks. The campus community is invited to open forums.
The following announcements were added this week:
- Group plant sale is May 7-8 at Reiman Gardens
- Movie night at Jack Trice set for May 14
- You're invited: Faculty/Staff Inspiration Awards reception
- Youth program leader training is May 11
- Memorial Union's awards ceremony is April 29
- Memorial service for Nikki Bado is April 30
- Art supply swap is April 30-May 1
- Registration open for kinesiology's youth summer fitness program
- Campus 'Stand Against Racism' campaign is April 28-May 1
- Relief for Ecuadorian earthquake victims
- Outdoor Rec equipment sale is April 28
Hotel Memorial Union to serve growing student housing needs
Iowa State's Memorial Union and department of residence, both part of the Division of Student Affairs, will work together to convert Hotel Memorial Union guest rooms
to temporary student residence hall space beginning this fall.
Save the date
The university community will recognize senior vice president Warren Madden for his 50 years of service during a public reception
on Friday, June 24 (4-7 p.m., Scheman Building).
Good for fashion: Clothing made from a tea byproduct
Associate professor of apparel, merchandising and design Young-A Lee is looking into applications for cellulosic fiber
in the apparel industry.
High-tech learningA high-tech classroom in Lagomarcino Hall is helping education majors become better teachers.
- Quinn Weninger, professor of economics, as the inaugural recipient of the John F. Timmons Endowed Professorship in Environmental and Resource Economics in the economics department
Open houses and receptions
- Retirement: Jay-Lin Jane, food science and human nutrition, April 29 (2-5 p.m., program at 3 p.m., Brunnier Art Museum, Scheman)
- Retirement: Ken Burditt, printing services, May 2 (1-2 p.m., 2333 Printing and Publication Building)
- Retirement: Larry Ebbers, School of Education, May 2 (3:30-5:30 p.m., program at 4:15 p.m., MU Great Hall)
- Retirement: Tom Polito, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences student services, May 3 (3-5 p.m., program at 4 p.m., MU Campanile Room)
- Retirement: Mary Lynn Damhorst, apparel, events and hospitality management, May 4 (3-5 p.m., program at 4 p.m., 1009 LeBaron)
- Reception: Recognizing 2015-16 faculty mentors, May 4 (4-5:30 p.m., program at 4:20 p.m., MU Cardinal Room), RSVPs requested by April 29
- Retirement: Lynn Miller, IT services, May 5 (2-4 p.m.,1155 ASB)
- Retirement, Denny Goodrich, IT services academic technologies, May 6 (2-4 p.m., 1230 Communications)
- Commencement reception, May 7 (4-6 p.m., ISU Alumni Center)
Details about these events are on the university calendar
Upcoming seminars and conferences
|Director of student affairs assessment and research finalists
(2 of 5)
- Denise Williams-Klotz, Iowa State: May 3, 10:30-11:30 a.m., MU Campanile Room
- Ekaterina Ralston, Iowa State: May 5, 10:30-11:30 a.m., MU Cardinal Room
Support student artists
The annual College of Design Art Club (CODAC) spring art sale is April 28-29 (10 a.m.-5 p.m., Design foyer). Artwork for sale was created by students in the studio arts and visual arts programs. Proceeds fund the artists and club activities.
ISU Theatre season wraps up this weekend
of a campus adaptation of Aristophanes' Greek comedy The Birds
run April 28-May 1 in the MU Maintenance Shop. Tickets are $18 ($16 for seniors, $11 for students); seating is limited.
Taste test for the curious
Food science students will share the 10+ innovative foods they developed this spring during the annual Dyscovry Foods New Product Showcase on Monday, May 2 (2:45-4 p.m., outside 206/210 MacKay). The public is welcome to try samples.
Kratt brothers stage 'WIld Kratts Live' on May 3
Emmy-nominated Martin and Chris Kratt will present To the Creature Rescue
on the Stephens stage May 3 (6:30 p.m.). Tickets are $29.75 to $49.75 and available at the Iowa State Center ticket office or through Ticketmaster
Artwalk focuses on preservationJoin University Museums on May 4 (noon-12:50 p.m.) for an Artwalk tour of campus sites that either recently were renovated or are in the process of conservation. The tour begins at the Fountain of the Four Seasons on the north side of the Memorial Union.
More campus events
Talks, performances, athletic contests and other campus events are listed on the university calendar
University human resources programming
- Class, Position Description Writing and Position Management Training, May 5 (8:30-10 a.m.)
- Class, University Orientation, May 17 (8 a.m.-1:30 p.m.)
|Submitting your news
is published Thursday mornings by the Office of University Relations. Send Update
news to email@example.com
. For questions call 515-294-7958.Update archives