Improved service delivery moves forward with release of hiring plan
Where specialists would step in on finance work
A Nov. 27 town hall presentation
from the university's top financial officer gave a clearer picture of what tasks the specialists in new finance service teams will take on as part of the improved service delivery initiative.
Wintersteen makes funding request to governor
Regents like plan that connects tuition increases to state support
Meeting earlier this month, board members also approved
an athletics facility plan and faculty professional development requests for next year.
Knoll open house returns to WinterFest
Friday is the annual campus WinterFest celebration
. An open house at the Knoll (3-6 p.m.) includes cookies, hot chocolate and nine holiday trees decorated by student teams from Iowa State's eight colleges and the library.
The following announcements were added this week:
- Jan. 16 reception set for ISU calendar honorees
- Honors poster presentation and reception is Dec. 5
- Classrooms will be open for after-hours studying during dead week
- Parks Library announces dead week, finals week additional services
- RSVP now for Project LEA/RN January workshop
- Volunteers sought for LEGO state championships in January
- Forestry Club tree and wreath sale runs for two more weekends
- Advancing One Community Award nominations due Dec. 1
- Register by Nov. 29 for Breakfast with Santa at Reiman Gardens
- LGBTQIA+ undergrads encouraged to apply for leadership program
Iowa State purchases next computer cluster
A $1.2 million High Performance Computing cluster
, called NOVA and recently installed in the Durham Data Center, will support computing-based research and education. It is more powerful than ISU's five previous clusters and also contains more memory.
Hub food venues to open in January
Heaping Plato, a Mediterranean-themed food venue, and The Roasterie full-service coffee bar will open on the first day of class
, Monday, Jan. 14. They will have break hours on Jan. 11 and an open house the afternoon of Jan. 10.
Science association honors seven Iowa State researchers
ISU graduate tapped as 2019 Rhodes ScholarMajd Abdulghani, who earned an Iowa State master's degree in genetics, development and cell biology, was selected as the first Rhodes Scholar from Saudi Arabia. Abdulghani, a research assistant at the University of Michigan, will join the 2019 cohort of 100 scholars.
- Adriane Carlson, Waterloo Community School District, to Region 9 director (serving Black Hawk, Bremer, Buchanan, Butler, Grundy and Tama counties), ISU Extension and Outreach, effective Dec. 26
Open houses and receptions
- Reception, for all term faculty, Nov. 29 (5-7 p.m., Garden Room, Reiman Gardens), register via Learn@ISU
- Open house, The Knoll, Nov. 30 (3-6 p.m.), part of WinterFest activities
- Reception, "01100100 01110010 01100001 01110111 01101110" exhibit by artist Matthew Merritt, Nov. 30 (7-9 p.m., Design on Main, 203 Main St.)
- Retirement, Kathy Thom, residence department, Dec. 3 (2-4 p.m., 136 Union Drive Community Center)
- Retirement, Rick Dark, finance department, Dec. 3 (3:30-5:30 p.m., program at 4 p.m., Bergstrom Commons, Gerdin Building)
- Reception, Fall 2018 Honors student projects, Dec. 5 (3-5 p.m., MU Great Hall)
- Retirement, Steve Carter, ISU Research Park, Dec. 6 (3-5 p.m., Core Facility atrium, 1805 Collaboration Place)
- Retirement, Vern Hoyt, veterinary microbiology and preventive medicine, Dec. 7 (no planned event)
- Yuletide open house, Farm House Museum, Dec. 8-9 (1-4 p.m. daily)
- Open house, Center for Statistics and Applications in Forensic Evidence, Dec. 13 (2-4 p.m., 195 Durham)
- Retirement, Jerilyn Rasmusson, university human resources, Dec. 14 (2:30-4:30 p.m., no formal program, 3150 Beardshear)
Details about these events are on the university calendar.
- Monday, Dec. 3, 4-5 p.m., Howe auditorium and livestreamed
Forums will be held from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m.
- Donald Easton-Brooks, University of South Dakota, Dec. 3, E0164 Lagomarcino
- Ryan Gildersleeve, University of Denver, Dec. 6, 001 MacKay
- Luciana de Oliveira, University of Miami, Dec. 11, W0162 Lagomarcino
'Wonderful Life' is a play within a play
ISU Theatre wraps up its fall lineup with "It's a Wonderful Life: A Live Radio Play," opening Friday, Nov. 30, for a two-weekend run. The play, directed by artist-in-residence Egla Hassan, takes audience members behind the scenes of a 1940s live radio production
of the holiday classic "It's a Wonderful Life."
Volleyball postseason starts tonight in Hilton
The Cyclone volleyball team plays host to first- and second-round games
of the National Invitational Volleyball Championship Nov. 29-30. A ticket to tonight's event includes two matches: Bradley vs. Bowling Green (4 p.m.), followed by Iowa State vs. Drake (6:30 p.m.). Winners advance to the second-round matchup at 6:30 p.m. Friday in Hilton. Tickets are $5 (free for ISU students).
Christmas musical comes to Stephens
a family Christmas musical making its U.S. debut this month, stops at Stephens Auditorium Friday, Nov. 30 (7:30 p.m.). Set in the streets of modern-day London, the story follows a young girl, Noel, who loses her joy of performing when her mother disappears and embarks on a journey to find her. Tickets
Football hosts Drake on Saturday
To replace the Sept. 1 season opener canceled due to weather, the Iowa State football team will play Drake University Dec. 1
(11 a.m., Jack Trice Stadium). Tickets issued for the Sept. 1 game will be honored; tickets ($30-$65)
also may be purchased.
More campus events
Talks, performances, athletic contests and other campus events are listed on the university calendar.
Vice president for research programming
- Interactive session, Connection is a Choice, crafting short clear statements about your research for a non-scientific audience, hosted by the Alan Alda Center for Communicating Science, Feb. 5, 2019 (3:30-5 p.m.), register online
- Workshop, Applying the Quality Matters Rubric, Dec. 3 (8 a.m.-4 p.m.)
- Workshop, Build Your Canvas Course -- Course Design Basics, Dec. 4 (3-4:30 p.m.)
- Workshop, Build Your Canvas Course -- Assignments and Quizzes, Dec. 5 (3-4:30 p.m.)
- Workshop, Build Your Canvas Course -- Grading and Student Data, Dec. 6 (9-10:30 a.m.)
- Workshop, Turning Your Scholarly Teaching into Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, Dec. 6 (12:10-1:30 p.m.)
- Workshop, Quality Matters: Improving Your Online Course, Dec. 7 (8 a.m.-noon) and follow-up session (1-3 p.m.)
|Submitting your news
Inside Update is published Thursday mornings by the Office of University Relations. Send Update news to firstname.lastname@example.org
. Questions may be directed to 515-294-7065.Update archives