ISU Extension is gathering information to better serve state
ISU Extension and Outreach vice president John Lawrence spent part of his first year on a listening tour across the state. A committee and task force
are studying how extension can best serve the needs of Iowans.
Updated exit survey will expand to merit employees, retirees
A revamped exit survey
for an expanded group of recipients should help university leaders -- and the Professional and Scientific Council -- better understand why staff leave Iowa State.
, who was selected in a national search last summer to lead the Carrie Chapman Catt Center for Women and Politics, arrived on campus Jan. 2.
Oliver named to oversee Student Innovation Center
A peek inside the Student Innovation Center
Inside got to walk along during a progress tour
Jan. 9 of the Student Innovation Center, Iowa State's hands-on learning hub when it opens in a year.
Peters appointed Study Abroad Center director
Staff survey responses needed by Jan. 18
P&S and merit employees are being asked to respond "yes," "no" or "maybe" about their interest in pursuing specialist positions
on finance and human resources service delivery teams.
The following announcements were added this week:
- Volunteers still needed for LEGO League state championship next week
- Library installs adjustable-height tables
- University child care has openings in two programs
- Comfort Zone reopens Jan. 14 for mildly ill children
- Regents to complete midyear evaluations Jan. 15-16
- Alumni award nominations due Feb. 15
- CELT centralizes staff, services in Morrill Hall
- Forums set for writing and media center director finalists
- Hub reopens Jan. 11; preview event is Jan. 10
Foundation receives more funding for Student Innovation Center
The ISU Foundation announced Jan. 3 a $1 million gift
from HNI Corp., Muscatine, for construction of the Student Innovation Center, scheduled for completion next January. About $44 million of the $84 million project price tag will come from private gifts to the university.
Kin Collective connects kinesiology students
A new group for students of color in kinesiology works to build a stronger community and reduce isolation
'Upcycling' disposable plastics could help prevent pollution
A federal research project involving Ames Lab scientists is looking for ways to "upcycle" single-use plastics
, turning them into more valuable chemicals to make recovery worthwhile.
Open houses and receptions
- Retirement, Dee Weiss, ISU Extension and Outreach IT, Jan. 4
- Open house, The Hub (ISU Dining), Jan. 10 (1-4 p.m.)
- Retirement, R. Samuel Houk, chemistry and Ames Laboratory, Jan. 10 (2-3:30 p.m., Hach lobby)
- Retirement, Dave Russell, facilities planning and management, Jan. 15 (1:30-3:30 p.m., presentation at 2 p.m., shops area of General Services Building)
- Reception, honoring the 12 featured in the 2019 'Women Impacting ISU' calendar, Jan. 16 (3:30-5 p.m., MU Sun Room)
- Retirement, Harry (Jack) Horner, genetics, development and cell biology, Jan. 17 (1-2 p.m., Molecular Biology Building atrium), event delayed from last June
Details about these events are on the university calendar.
Provost office programming
- Faculty workshop, Advancing Your Career at ISU, with associate provost Dawn Bratsch-Prince and LAS associate dean Amy Slagell, this session is focused for lecturers and senior lecturers, Jan. 16 (10-11:30 a.m.)
- Workshop, Building a Canvas Course that Makes Sense to Your Students (Track 1), Jan. 14 (9:30-11 a.m.)
- Workshop, Low and High Stakes Quizzes in Canvas (Track 1), Jan. 15 (10-11:30 a.m.)
- Webinar, The Process Towards Quality Matters Program Certification from a Faculty Perspective, Jan. 15 (noon-1 p.m.)
- Workshop, Grading and Student Data in Canvas (Track 1), Jan. 16 (2:30-4 p.m.)
- Workshop, Inclusive Classroom, Jan. 17 (2:10-5 p.m.)
- Seminar, ISU Online Learning Community, Jan. 18 (11:30 a.m.-1 p.m.)
- Workshop, Group and Collaborative Work in Canvas (Track 1), Jan. 18 (2-3:30 p.m.)
|Submitting your news
Inside Update is published Thursday mornings by the Office of University Relations. Send Update news to email@example.com
. Questions may be directed to 515-294-7065.Update archives